Monday, March 26, 2007

Run, Jen, run!!

I have been working pretty steadily since January 2006 to get back in shape and be a much healthier person. To accomplish this, I have been working out a lot and eating much better than I had been (goodbye buffalo wings, sniff, sniff). The local YMCA offers some really great classes ... and I take a few of them. Generally I make it to the gym somewhere between 3 and 5 days a week--1-2 hours each day. I'm taking some pretty intense classes (bootcamp, cardio kickboxing) that are helping to whip me into a solid level of cardio fitness. I've also been taking some strength training classes to help me build muscle and tone up what I've got. I have seen some progress (20 pounds overall which has brought me down 2 sizes), but I've been stuck for a long time now at the current "plateau".

Plateau is a misnomer. It sounds pleasant, scenic even. Solid ground. Comfortable and flat. In no way does it convey the complete frustration I feel that I am stuck here. I think it should be called a trench. Or a gutter. Or a ditch. Or a bunch of shit. There are days that I feel like I might as well eat all the wings, fries and ice cream I want to, if I'm going to be nailed to the scale where I am now.

Adding to my frustration just a little is my husband's success in this department. He has lost 15 pounds since January 1st. (I'm very happy for you, honey ... and I think you are looking maaaahhhvelous, baby!!) So, in less than 3 months, he's lost nearly the same amount of weight I have .... but it's taken me over a year to do it!! And I'm busting my ass in the gym, which he is not!!

I'm going to try switching things up a little bit ... see if that helps. You know, change up the work out to shock my body into dropping the chub. So, today I jogged around my neighborhood. (I'm using the term "jog" very loosely here.) I feel like I should issue an official apology to the few women who were outside talking while I went galloping by. I absolutely SUCK at running. I can't run very far (talking maybe a quarter mile) and I feel miserable and get cramps in my sides. I have to give myself little incentives ("run to the next street and then you can walk for a little bit") to make it. I have set a little goal for myself: I want to be able to run the entire perimeter of the 'hood by the end of April. That's a lofty goal, considering that I ran maybe a third of it today--in sections ... that wasn't even a straight run.

I'll post on this topic again ... if I make progress. So, if I never mention jogging again, know that I failed miserably. Sigh.

3 comments:

JenC said...

Running will come along with time. My friend Sam couldn't run more than a few minutes at a time and within a year, ran the entire Cleveland marathon with me without stopping. You can do it! As for the plateau, good luck with that. I do believe shocking your body helps it get going again.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jen, that whole post could have been written by me. I feel your frustration, that strapless black dress in my closet will probably fit Jason long before it fits me! I'm stickin' with ya through it and surely we'll both see the results we want!

Anonymous said...

Jenny-
Welcome to life in the rut! Sorry to see you've joined me. I've often felt 'plataeu' was euphemistic. I think your 'pile of shit' seems more appropriate.
As you are I'm currently trying to 'shock my body' into a jolt of weightloss.
Good Luck to both of us!
love,
Heather