Monday, March 19, 2007

Austin's lost tooth

About a month ago, Austin had a loose tooth ... the kind that was barely hanging on, begging to be removed. I wanted to pull it. It would have required almost no effort for me to do it, but he got nervous and didn't want me to. He hasn't had any horrible "tooth losing" history or anything. We've never tied a tooth to a string attached to a doorknob or car bumper. I haven't tricked him by telling him I'd only wiggle it while I was actually planning to yank it out. I don't know exactly why he felt so nervous about it. (Maybe it has something to do with being afraid of getting "big" ... I mentioned that in a previous blog.)

Daddy didn't really help my efforts at all. He was on Austin's side. He said I should just leave it alone. It wasn't bothering anything to leave it in. Well, that's not actually true ... it was bothering me. It was so loose it blew in the breeze of his breath when he talked. I wanted to pull it so Austin could eat more easily and so that I wasn't watching it flap in the wind. We went back and forth for a few minutes. I left the tooth alone, against my better judgement and desire.

So, with Austin nearly done with his lunch, he exclaimed, "my tooth is gone!" He was very excited. Yeah! See, Mommy, you didn't need to pull it. It would come out when it was ready!! I said, "good for you! Let me see it." (You know where I'm going with this, right?) He didn't know where the tooth was, and he didn't know exactly when he lost it ... and by exactly when, I mean in exactly which bite. Austin had eaten his tooth. Seriously. He ate the thing. Apparently, my son doesn't chew his food very well, or just isn't very discerning while eating. He did say that he felt something hard in his mouth while he was eating ... and, rather than take it out of his mouth to see what it was, he just swallowed it. Nice!

So, nearly a month later, Austin still hasn't written a note to the tooth fairy to explain what happened ... and the tooth fairy hasn't visited yet. She's still waiting for the letter ... and she'll feel really vindicated if the note includes something along the line of "I should have let my Mommy pull that tooth. She knows what she's talking about." But, as most tooth fairies know, those admissions don't come very often ... and especially not in writing!!

2 comments:

JenC said...

Good stuff! I assume that doesn't digest and eventually came out, although he probably didn't notice that either. : )

Anonymous said...

I think some day he may have to admit that Mom Knows Best. For some reason it takes kids quite awhile until they learn this...some never do, thinking they know it all. It helps when they have kids of their own someday to realize that moms know quite a bit.