Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Rites of passage

I'm having so much fun watching my kids grow up, little by little. And I'm learning so much along the way.

I found the infant stage to be sweet in a lot of ways, but more than that, I enjoy my kids as they're getting bigger ... being independent (able to feed and dress themselves ), developing opinions and a sense of humor, learning about the world and the people in it. This is what's really exciting to me as a parent. The ideas they conjure up, the plans they make, the stories and pictures they create, the new adventures and experiences for them ... are just a wondrous opportunity for me to see the world as I want it to be--innocent, exciting, simple, colorful, full of possibility.

To an adult, the idea of losing a tooth is mundane, even trite, but to a 6 year old it's monumental. It represents an important rite of passage, the exciting process of becoming "big". For some kids, that's a scary idea. The fear of the unknown can be overwhelming sometimes--for those of us in the adult world, too. For others, it's downright exhilarating. These changes represent a world full of possibility, opportunities for happiness and fun.

Each of these new "sacraments of youth" serves as a reminder for me to put things into perspective. As I enter into uncharted territory or am dealing with events in my life that are stressful, frustrating, challenging, daunting or scary, I need to remember that these are all just part of this life of change ... this process of becoming "big" ... my own rites of passage. With each of these new adventures and adjustments--whether big or small, exciting or nerve-racking--comes the possibility and opportunity for good things to happen--happiness, growth and fun ... and maybe, just maybe, the chance to meet the tooth fairy!

A girl can dream!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, It sounds like you are doing it right getting joy out of the small things that will mean the most 10 years from now. ;-)