Monday, May 14, 2007

random thoughts

I have a few little things to post about, so I'll just combine them into one today.

First, our appointment with the pediatric psychologist went well. I like him a lot. He isn't going to tell us what we should do with Austin (regarding behavior management strategies vs. medication)--he believes that's our call. He sees his role as giving Tim and me as much information as possible so that we can make an informed decision and offer his professional opinion to help guide us. I like that approach. And he seems very easy to talk to and was completely straight-forward with answers and replies to our questions and thoughts. We talked about how things are now with Austin, how they have been in the past, what has happened (and hasn't) with this year's teacher to affect the situation and what we'd like to see in the future for Aus. We didn't get through all the questions he has for us, so when we go back in two weeks, we need to finish with his series of questions and then he'll have one on one time with Austin for the rest of that meeting and for the following three. No definitive answers or plan yet, but I really feel that we'll be able to work out a good scenario for Austin. I'll keep posting on this situation.

Next, although I have been making some progress with the running, I just don't enjoy it. I feel good about it as I start out, but around the time I hit 1 mile, I would rather not be running. It's not because my legs hurt or that I'm too out of breath or anything ... I just don't like it. I have to keep talking myself into going further. I hope this is just a little hump. I know a lot of people who really love running, but I'm thinking that I might not be one of them.

Last, I am tired of this weight plateau. When I started this whole regimen to get back into shape and lose weight, I was strictly following Weight Watchers (not going to meetings, but following the plan) and working out five days a week. I lost 20 pounds and lots of inches (nearly six inches just around my waist). I felt great and loved all the progress. Then as summer arrived and the kids were home all day, I wasn't working out quite as much ... and I wasn't as strictly following Weight Watchers--just mostly keeping up with it. I stopped writing down what I ate and kind of kept track of the points in my head. Well, I've already talked about being sick of being stuck in the weight rut, so I started running--in hopes of shocking my body into losing weight. It's not working. So I've come to a realization: I need to be back in full-contact, all-out, no-holds-barred, write-down-everything-I-eat-and-track-every-point Weight Watchers mode to get this moving along again. So, here I go again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jenny- good luck with austin. as a budding homeopath, i feel the desire to send you guys to a homeopath in your town.....is there such a thing?
as for the running, i know people love it, but i find it absolutely awful! it makes me grumpy, and my knees hurt, and unless i'm being chased i really don't see the point.
my point is this. find something YOU like. who cares what other people like? do what makes your own body sing, and then you'll want to do it more. now, if only i could take my own advice!!
loveyou,
heather kathleen