Wednesday, December 5, 2007

teaching ...

So, a few weeks ago, our school district posted a job for an English / Spanish teacher. I called the high school principal and let him know that I would definitely be interested if they were going to fill the position separately--part-time English and part-time Spanish. The kids' principal called him to put in a few good words for me, too. Then I got a call from the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources / Personnel ... asking what the odds were that I'd be able to get certification in English also. Interestingly enough, I started out going to school to be an English teacher, so I did have quite a few classes. I met with him the following week so that we could look over my transcripts and talk about possibilities. He even told me during that meeting that he would like to hire me and that he's heard very good things about me (from the volunteering I've been doing at the kids' elementary teaching Spanish).

I called the University of Akron to see how close I was to being able to get my certification in English ... turns out, not as close as I thought. Okay, next avenue to pursue is to send an application / request to be able to take a test for certification in English through Michigan's State Department of Education. Still waiting to hear on that.

I've been so excited thinking that I might be able to get back to teaching--in my own classroom, with a regular, paying job. I've been kind of giddy ...

The Asst. Superintendent mentioned to me that the high school principal would likely be doing interviews this week, so I called him (the principal) on Monday. He told me that they found someone who is certified English and Spanish ... and that what they really need immediately is the English portion of that certification (because they have an English teacher retiring in January). It looks like they're going to hire her. Sigh. My heart just sank when he told me that. I had allowed myself to get excited about the possibility ... not just to teach again, but to teach English too--that sounds fun to me.

I am frustrated and let down.

I really do believe that things happen for a reason, and there's definitely a reason this didn't work out. I'll likely never know why, but I'm trying to focus on the positive. But I can't help feeling that this just sucks.

2 comments:

JenC said...

Sorry to hear about the emotional roller coaster ride you just took. If teaching English sounds interesting, why not still get certified just in case an opportunity arises again soon? Either way, I'm sure the right opportunity will come along for you buddy. Hang in there. Love you.

Anonymous said...

oh jenny, what a let down.
maybe this just came up to let you know that you'd really be interested in teaching again, or expanding your horizons a bit and getting certified to teach english as well. now that you know how much you want you can take steps towards making it happen.
that said, it probably still just sucks in the meantime.
love you, love you,
heather hadu schario