Monday, April 9, 2007

Sloth is a virtue, right?

As I type this, Austin is sitting on the couch, watching his favorite show on television--The Most Extreme on Animal Planet. (It's a show that counts down the "most extreme" creatures in nature based on a particular theme ... this episode is about daredevils, and I just learned that the flying snake ranks as number 7. A lot of information is shared about each creature making the countdown, and sometimes correlations are made to humans and things in our world .... "imagine jumping from a 10-story building and landing on your belly!" Austin is always sharing tidbits of information that he's learned from this show--and others on Animal Planet, his favorite channel.) He has told me his plan for the day: watch a little television, then head downstairs to play some GameCube. A perfect "nothing" day for my son! And a great way to really get this Spring Break going ... full (slow-motion) speed ahead!

Maya is less interested in television, although she did sit down for a little SpongeBob SquarePants earlier and she just plopped herself on the couch for a short viewing with Austin. Generally, she's much more interested in reading and writing. She spent some time this morning writing letters and drawing pictures with her new stationery set (with glitter pens!!!) from the Easter Bunny. We also played some Apples to Apples Jr. about an hour ago. Maya's plan for a perfect day is also in action: stay in her jammies all day (which is one of my sweatshirts), read a little, color and draw a bit, watch some t.v., play a few games, pet the cats, spend some snuggle time with Mommy. Aaaahhhhh .... a perfect lazy day!

Apparently, I have decided to follow their lead. Aside from making them breakfast, doing dishes and tidying up the kitchen, I have a lounging plan of my own. I have a lot of laundry to do ... so I'm going to go downstairs with the book I'm reading (The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu--it's a good one) and start some clothes in the wash. While they're doing their thing, I'm going to lay on the bed in the guest room and read. I'll get up as the washer and dryer call me to duty, but otherwise ... I'm still in my jammies and plan to read and loaf a bit. I'm sure Maya will come with me--she'll be able to get in some Mommy snuggle time and a good opportunity for relaxed reading.

Sounds like a good way to spend one of our Spring Break days!!

1 comment:

JenC said...

It sounds lovely. Wish I could be there hanging out too, but stupid work calls. Enjoy for me! Tell the kids I said hello.