Thursday, August 30, 2007

breakfast in bed

What a great morning! I woke to the sweet snuggle of Maya. (She had a bad dream last night and had crawled into bed with Tim and me around 5:00.) After about 20 minutes of cuddling and talking with her, Austin woke up and came down to my room. He climbed into my bed and nestled in, too. I was surrounded by my kids--our arms around each other, legs intertwined. We were talking about what we'd be doing today when Austin asked if they could make me breakfast in bed. My first thought was "this could be messy" and my second thought was "I've really got a lot I need to get going on for the day", but my best thought was "this could really be fun--for all of us." So I told them that I'd love to have breakfast in bed.

Off they scurried to the kitchen. I heard drawers and cupboards opening and closing, the toaster oven beeping, the refrigerator opening and closing and them talking and giggling all the while.

Maya brought me a tray with 2 pieces of toast made into a sandwich with mayonnaise and sliced tomato--"cut with a butter knife because I'm only allowed to use those, not really sharp knives"--and an apple. She was very formal and proud as she presented me with this breakfast masterpiece. She also made sure to tell me that Austin was "still preparing the second breakfast" and told me not to get too full.

A few minutes later Austin brought me another tray with a jelly sandwich, a piece of cinnamon toast and a sandwich made with a cinnamon and brown sugar mini-bagel with (a lot of) peanut butter and two slices of tomato--"to make it an interesting creation." He was also very formal in his presentation and beaming with pride.

They both climbed into bed with me and I shared some of my food with them ... after all, it was a lot of food! We all agreed that everything was delicious (except for the tomato on the peanut butter bagel sandwich ... interesting, but not tasty). The kids were quite pleased with themselves--that they were able to make all of that by themselves ... and that they were doing something kind and thoughtful.

I was also quite pleased with them. What a nice way to start the day!!

No comments: